I have a few requirements when we have a dinner party: Make-ahead as many items as possible, there can’t be anything that stresses me out (i.e., a souffle that may or may not rise), it must be something I’ve made before so I know it’s good, and it has to be somewhat fancy-pants or at least seem like it is =) A couple weeks ago, I broke all my own rules. I made this 5 Ingredient Peach Tart from Just A Taste for company even though it’s not make ahead and I had never made it before. I was slightly stressed about it but it seemed too darn easy to not work out. Plus, our company were old friends we used to spend every Thursday night with reading through the Bible. They get us. They know us. They’d be ok if dessert sucked. I may not have been ok, but they would definitely have been ok.
Thankfully, I was ok too. It turned out! Not only did it turn out, it was FANTASTIC. Elegant, beautiful, delectable, and – the best part – deceptively simple. First off, 5 ingredients? I’m IN. Especially when your guests have no clue there’s only 5 measly ingredients in there. They thought I had slaved all day making pastry dough. Ha! There are times I might do that but a Friday night after work in 90+ degree weather is not one of them. Ready? Here they are…
- Frozen puff pastry
- Lemon juice
- Powdered sugar
That’s all, folks. Now, as you may have seen I also mixed this up and made it with BERRIES. And it was oh so good. I mean, when two sheets of puff pastry come in one package, that means you must make this twice, right?! I digress… My one stipulation to serving this enticing goodie? ICE CREAM. And, get good ice cream at that. I went with Talenti’s Tahitian Vanilla Bean Gelato and it was perfection. Gave the tart the perfect sweet treat on top of the juicy fruit and flaky pastry that it needed. Homemade whipped cream would be fantastic here too if you’re not so much an ice cream person. That was kind of a crazy thought though… Is anyone not an ice cream person? Either way, make this tart and get ready to receive some rave reviews!
- 1 sheet (half of a 17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 large peaches, sliced (or a mixture of berries)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- Powdered sugar, for dusting on top
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat (also, buy me a Silpat while you're at it =)
- In a small bowl, toss together the sliced peaches with the lemon juice.
- Unfold the thawed (but still cold) puff pastry onto the baking sheet. Lightly score the dough by cutting a border 1 inch from the edges (do not cut through the pastry).
- Prick the pastry inside the border all over with a fork.
- Arrange the peach slices so that they are slightly overlapping each other in three rows inside the border.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg with 2 teaspoons water. Brush the eggwash around the edges of the tart. Bake the tart for 15 to 17 minutes until it is golden and puffed. Remove the tart and let it cool slightly then dust it with confectioners' sugar and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.