I’ve had a package of ground turkey staring me down in the fridge. It was a standoff. I didn’t want to freeze it but the date was drawing near that it either needed to be used or frozen. And since I’m trying super hard to stop wasting any and all food, I knew I had to get on it! I made these meatballs for Sunday Supper a couple weeks ago and the consensus was they were super yummy. I made a couple tweaks since then and think they are even better!
Tweak #1 – No more zoodles. I love me some zucchini noodles but here I prefer rice to soak up that amazing sauce!
Tweak #2 – Smaller meatballs! Originally these are gigantic 1/4 cup sized meatballs. I prefer these in Tablespoon size.
Tweak #3 – Double the sauce! This is a must, people. That sauce is yum. Especially drizzled over the rice.
Now, please don’t get me wrong. The tweaks are not a necessity (except for doubling the sauce), Skinnytaste gets it right every of the times. These are just my lil preferences to Gina’s Asian Turkey Meatballs with Lime Sesame Dipping Sauce. And the hubs’ preference? Add a dot of Sriracha. I told him this made them look like nipples. His response, “That’s good. Everyone likes boobs.” SMH. Seriously, hun? Then I got, “You’re going to write about this, aren’t you?” Yup. Did it. Ha.
If I had my way, we’d eat Asian food every.single.night. But when it comes to making it at home, I just don’t do it enough. Usually the ingredient lists are waayyyyy too long and I don’t wanna go there. This dish, however, is totally doable! The meatballs and sauce contain the same stuff so don’t get blurry eyed when looking at the ingredient list. Healthy + Asian + Delish coming right up in your kitchen!
- ¼ cup panko crumbs (found in the Asian section at your grocery store)
- 1-1/4 ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- For the Dipping Sauce:
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ teaspoons sesame oil
- 1½ Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1½ Tablespoons water
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh green onions
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, panko bread crumbs, egg, salt, green onions, ginger, cilantro, 1 Tablespoon of soy sauce and 2 teaspoons sesame oil.
- Gently mix with your hands until combined well.
- Shape meatballs into 1 Tablespoon sized rounds and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until cooked through and browned, about 12-15 minutes.
- For the dipping sauce:
- Mix the lime juice, water, soy sauce, and remaining 2 teaspoons of sesame oil in a bowl. Add the green onions and set aside.
- I drizzle some sauce over the meatballs as well as leaving some for dipping =) Enjoy!