Thick, cheesy, soul comforting soup with a hint of spice, and alllll the toppings your heart could desire. Plus, it’s accidentally gluten free. Like, I didn’t realize masa was GF and then I did a happy dance because it was labeled GF which means the cutest lil nephew of mine can have it. And now I want to add masa to ALL THE THINGS. Easier than a roux, meaning it comes together in a snippity snap and thickens like magic. AND it gives you ALL that yummy corn flavor. #winning #iusethathashtagtoomuch
Ok, moving on… A few weeks ago the besties invited us on yet another trip up to the cabin (woot woot!) and we were STOKED. You saw the cutie pics, right?! We were tired of HOT Southern Cali weather and beyond ready for it to feel like Fall. Plus, soups, bread, hot apple cider. Yes. Just, YES.
And then it was nap time. Ahhhh…. The adults got to enjoy some Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup (recipe from Ali at Gimme Some Oven, where you can never go wrong!) on the DECK. Gahhh!!! That view! It was so, so, SO nice. A chill in the air, blankets wrapped around us, and thick, comforting, cheesy, fill up your soul soup. Plus, wayyyy too many chips. There was lots of laughing, maybe even a few tears shed (because that’s how us girls roll) and so much love.
Soup is one of my favorite things to make and this one is no exception. It will most definitely be on my go-to list especially because it can be whipped up in just 30 minutes! #winning #ididitagain <– Ignore my annoyingness and make this soup, you’ll love it friends!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced white onion (about 1 small white onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup masa harina (corn flour) - found in the baking aisle with the flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or more/less to taste
- optional toppings: crushed tortilla chips, diced avocado, grated cheese, sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, and/or pico de gallo
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Dice the onion while the oil heats. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, or until cooked and translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute until fragrant. Stir in the masa harina and cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in half of the chicken stock (1½ cups), and stir until completely combined. Add in the remainder of the chicken stock (1½ cups), and stir to combine.
- Immediately add in the chicken, enchilada sauce, black beans, tomatoes, green chiles, salt and cumin, and stir until combined. Continue stirring occasionally until the mixture reaches a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally so that the soup does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the cheese, one handful at a time, until combined. Taste, and season the soup to taste with salt.
- Enjoy with desired toppings.