Ahhhhh Fall. All things pumpkin, soups galore, crisp weather, leaves falling, sweaters, boots, and cozy, comfy nights. Except that I live in Southern California and over the weekend it was 100+ degrees. Gah! We spent it resting, rebooting, cleaning, and cranking up the a/c while enjoying some more pool time with the fam. Just what my soul needed.
Our fridge was in one of those states where you KNOW everything has pretty much gone bad but you feel too guilty to throw it all away so I was ignoring it for far too long. We’ve had a rough couple weeks and our house was a disaster. I knew I had to get things cleaned up and organized, especially our meal plan situation. Enter –> Chocolate Chili from Well Fed.
I know. It sounds weird. In fact, I usually don’t tell people it even has chocolate in it. Don’t be afraid! It’s unsweetened cocoa powder and I promise you cannot taste it. In no way does the chili actually taste like chocolate. Pinky swear! It gives the beef a depth of flavor and richness that elevates this chili above all the rest. I found this gem during Whole30 and am so glad I did! I don’t even miss the beans. I do love my chili over rice (kinda weird, I know) so I knew I had to make this post-Whole30. Annnnnnd I’ve already made it three times! Even in the heat.
My sis birthed a NINE POUND baby girl today who just so happens to share a bday with my hubs #birthdaybuddies =) so I’m thinking she’s due for a big ol’ pot this weekend. What’s your fav way to eat chili? Over rice? Spaghetti? In a bread bowl? With cornbread? Or just in a gigantic bowl by itself? There’s really no way to miss the mark here.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted, chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup beer (use water if doing Whole30)
- Heat a large, deep pot over medium-high heat and add the coconut oil.
- When the oil is melted, add diced onions and cook until they’re translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and as soon as it’s fragrant, about 30 seconds, crumble the ground meat into the pan with your hands, mixing with the wooden spoon to combine. Continue to cook the meat, stirring often, until it’s no longer pink.
- In a small bowl, crush the oregano between your palms to release its flavor, then add the chili powder, cumin, cocoa, allspice, and salt. Add to the pot and stir well.
- Add tomato paste and stir until combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, beef or chicken broth, and beer or water to the pot. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer uncovered for at least two hours. Do not skimp on the simmer!
- Try a meat combo by mixing ground beef with ground turkey, pork, or bison.
- Make a double batch and freeze half so you have chili-on-demand.
- Topping Suggestions: Sliced olives, diced onions, slivered romaine lettuce, avocado, cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice