Man, December has kicked my booty so far. How in the world is it ALMOST CHRISTMAS?!?!! I totally thought I was ahead of the game and on top of all things holiday and then December came and whacked me upside the head. Seriously, can I have a redo? I haven’t even started baking until now and that’s not ok! Although these lil gems require zero baking, they still put me in the holiday baking/Christmas spirit. Plus, I want to eat every.last.one.
What’s not to love when it comes to safe-to-eat (read: eggless) cookie dough sandwiched between two cute, salty pretzels, and dipped in Ghiradelli semi sweet silky, smooth chocolate.
These are super easy, no baking required and fun to make! I brought them to our work Christmas party and had several peeps asking for the recipe. Here it is, friends! Add these to your Christmas cookie trays for something different and so well received.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour (measured by spooning flour into measuring cup)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 50-60 pretzels
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate (I used 2, 4 ounce semi-sweet Ghirardelli bars found in the baking aisle)
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment or wax paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a handheld or in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar together on medium speed until light and creamy.
- Add the milk or cream and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add the flour and salt. Mix on low speed at first, then turn up to medium speed and mix until combined. The dough will be thick and crumbly, keep mixing until it comes together.
- Mix in mini chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough into balls using about 2 teaspoons of dough per sandwich.
- Sandwich cookie dough balls between two pretzels and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Freeze for 20 minutes. (Do not skip this step!)
- Break the chocolate into pieces and melt with the shortening for about 1 minute in mircrowave, stirring every 20 seconds.
- Dip the pretzel bites halfway into the melted chocolate and place bites back on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate the dipped bites for at least 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to set. Cover and store pretzel bites in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.