Ever wake up with a kink in your neck and as the day goes on it gets worse and worse? And everyone seems to have the perfect solution to make it go away except none of it works. AND you have to turn your entire body just to see any little thing if it’s on your left. Gah!!! Send help. I’ve tried every stupid Googled remedy possible and I swear it’s just getting worse! Totally sticking a needle in my hand tonight and getting rid of this crazy kink. <–If that just freaked you out, please remember I am an Acupuncturist =)
These nuggets from Gimme Some Oven are kinda like the dang kink in my neck. The day after eating them, I COULD NOT GET THEM OUTTA MY HEAD! I know I already have this recipe for “nuggies” (as my precious lil niece calls them) on the blog. They are little healthier hence the name, Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets and a wee bit faster since you’re not triple dipping. I will not be pushing that recipe aside, however, this Crispy Parmesan version? Just what the name implies, C-R-I-S-P-Y. Plus, they may not be as healthy as my other recipe but they are still baked! And still waaaaayyyyy healthier than a certain golden arch version, ahem.
I couldn’t get them out of my head so much that I made them two days in a row! They take a little more time to bread since you’re doing flour, then egg, then panko + parm but they only take 12 minutes to bake. You can have an awesome crunchy nuggie din on the table in no time. I promise the kiddos and adults will all be equally satisfied.
Part of the secret here is browning the panko (Japanese bread crumbs) ahead of time. Don’t skip this step!! It’s easy and effortless. Throw those breadcrumbs in the oven while you prep your breading station. They only take 5-7 minutes at 400 degrees. In the meantime, cut up your chicken breasts and get your three bowls ready: flour, eggs, parm + thyme + the browned panko. Then dip/dip/dip, place on parchment paper. Repeat until all your nuggies are breaded and ready for the oven. Bake at 450 for 6 minutes on each side.
Congrats! You just made crunchy, crispy, tasty nugget perfection! Now, find your favorite sauce and dip away. Mine is always mayo + sriracha, hubs likes ranch + buffalo sauce, what’s yours?
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound total), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (can be found in the International foods section)
- ½ cup finely grated or powdered Parmesan
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Your favorite sauce(s) for dipping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread panko out evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir at 3 minutes to help brown evenly.
- Meanwhile, prep your breading station: Add parmesan and thyme to a small bowl, flour in another, and eggs in a third small bowl. Add panko to parmesan bowl once browned and toss until combined. Cover the baking sheet with parchment paper and increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees.
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. One at a time, add a piece of chicken to the flour, and toss until coated, shaking off excess. Then dip it in the egg until coated. Then transfer to the panko mixture, and toss until it is completely coated. Press to adhere the panko, if needed.
- Transfer to the parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through, about 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Serve chicken nuggets warm with dipping sauce(s), if desired.