I love trying new things. Food-wise, that is. Other than that I’m kind of a wimp! Our awesome neighbors brought over a cheese ball for our Neighborsgiving appetizer. How have I never tried a cheese ball before? I took a bite and another and another and another. Seriously, I could not stop eating it! I asked her what was in it and thought the ingredients sounded a little… interesting together. But oh how it worked! I never would have guessed there was pineapple in there. It’s not necessarily sweet or pineapple-y (is that even a thing?) at all. It’s just plain YUM. Our neighbor served it with pita chips which were great. When I recreated it I served it with Sesame Seed Crackers, Triscuits and Wheat Thins, also delish. Really, you can’t go wrong.
I love that this is so easy to put together, no cooking required! Just some chopping, mixing and rolling. If you need a quick, easy, tasty appetizer to bring for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day or even New Years (am I really going there already?), I highly suggest this easy peasy cheese ball! Just a warning that you will most likely not come home with leftovers because once you start, you cannot stop munching. As I was stalking the internet on all things cheese ball, I realize I have been totally missing out. There are some crazy awesome recipes out there. Let this be the first of more amaze-balls (get it) recipes to come!
PS – We’re at T-8 days until Christmas. I’m not ready. This weekend is chock full-o-parties and I’m not ready! I’m stalking Pinterest for all types of DIY easy, quick, still very awesome gifts and I think I’ve found a few contenders. I dub Sunday a mega crafty, baking, gift making day! I’m pretty sure I need a cheese ball to keep me company =)
- 2 8-ounce packages of cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon green onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, green bell pepper, onion, salt, and crushed pineapple (Remember to drain the pineapple well first otherwise this will be a dip, not a ball. I do this by putting it into a clean towel & wringing it out).
- You can either roll this into one large cheese ball (pictured above) or divide the mixture in half and form two balls out of the mixture.
- Roll each ball in the chopped pecans.
- Chill until ready to serve.