I may pretend to be an adult but in my head I totally forget that I’m mid-30’s and legally allowed to stick needles in people (don’t worry, I’m an Acupuncturist =) – I don’t just do it for giggles). I prefer to think of myself as the kid I really am. I still get excited when I hear the ice cream truck driving by. I tell and re-tell childhood stories/memories (just ask the hubs). I long for the good-ol-days filled with Oma’s magnificent cooking and Opa’s crazy silly jokes. So, it’s no surprise that sometimes I feel the need to eat like a kiddo. Chicken nuggets? Yes please!!! And, since we’re doing the healthy thang, I go to the best source ever – Skinnytaste. I’ve been making her recipe for Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets for at least a year now. THAT says something! I make them even when I’m not TRYING to be healthy! They are so GOOD.
The best part is that they are BAKED. I’m not a big fan of frying. Don’t misunderstand. I’m a HUGE fan of eating fried foods. Just not the act of frying. Hate the grease splattered everywhere, the smell that lingers in the house afterward and figuring out what to do with all that nasty leftover oil. Yuck. Absolutely love that these chicken nuggets are baked and still crisssspy-as-can-be! Even the breading process here is easy peasy. Cut up your chicken breasts into bite sized pieces and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Put into a bowl with 2 teaspoons olive oil and mix well so all pieces are coated. In a separate bowl combine Italian breadcrumbs, panko (Japanese breadcrumbs that can be found in the Asian section of your grocery store – near the soy sauce) and parmesan cheese. Put a few pieces of chicken in the breadcrumb bowl at a time to coat, then place on prepared baking sheet.
Spritz with olive oil – if you have it – I usually have to use the nonstick spray I have on hand. This helps to brown those babies up. Bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes on one side, flip them over and bake for 4-5 minutes on the other side. While baking, assemble your dipping sauces! Your choice. I won’t judge. Remember these are healthy so it’s ok to indulge a little on the sauce =) I’m all about moderation. Some ideas: Ketchup, BBQ sauce, spicy ranch, honey mustard, whatever your heart desires.
- 16 oz (2 large) skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp panko
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- olive oil spray (or regular nonstick spray, if that's all you've got)
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil or nonstick spray.
- Put the olive oil in one bowl and the breadcrumbs, panko and parmesan cheese in another.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder, then put into bowl with olive oil. Mix well until all pieces are coated.
- Put a few pieces of chicken at a time into the breadcrumbs to coat thoroughly. Then place on prepared baking sheet.
- Spray the tops of the chicken pieces with olive oil spray or regular nonstick spray.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, flip chicken over and bake for 4-5 minutes more or until cooked through.