When it comes to doughnuts, errr is it donuts? (I’m going with doughnuts, it looks fancier) I’m usually a chocolate bar kinda girl. Or maple bar. But lately I’ve been on a cake doughnut kick. Trying to fall asleep one night (AKA: browsing through Pinterest), I stumbled upon this recipe from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen. I’ve been meaning to make it for a while but just got around to it. Now I’m kicking myself for not making it sooner! And, since I can never just make a recipe the way it’s written, I changed up the glaze to make it maple. *Gold star for me* Although, I’m sure these would be DELISH either way. Doughnut flavored cake-y muffin delicousness dripping in a maple glaze. I’ll take 2. Or 4. Or… You don’t want to know how many I ate.
Another plus, these are surprisingly simple to throw together. Don’t be intimidated by the list of ingredients! Most are pantry staples I bet you have on hand. Plus you only use one bowl for the batter and one bowl for the glaze. *High five* I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer but you could easily use a hand mixer. Mix all batter ingredients, put in muffin tin and bake. Don’t forget to turn a timer on like me & over bake them! Those sides shouldn’t be so brown *sad face* but, they were still AMAZING! Cool, glaze and glaze again. Mmmm mmm good! I dipped them in the glaze then let them harden on a wire rack over a foil-lined cookie sheet (less mess/clean-up, Score!) Then, once the glaze has hardened, dip those puppies again. As if once wasn’t enough? It’s not. Once you double dip, you’ll never go back.
Are ya’ll ready for Thanksgiving? Can you believe it’s NEXT WEEK?!! Sorry to yell at you. I’m just in disbelief. Our small (party of 4), casual Thanksgiving din has turned into a possible party of 11. Yikes! No worries. The more, the merrier. Our tiny lil home will be packed to the brim with peeps, food and fun and we are so looking forward to it. I’ve begun the recipe planning process but am still trying to decide on a few appetizers/sides/desserts. Ok, maybe I have a lot more planning to do and not many days to do it!
I’ll just pop another doughnut muffin in my face and lick more glaze off my fingers. Procrastinate much?
- For the Muffins:
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- For the Glaze:
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- ¾ teaspoon maple extract
- 2-4 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat together softened butter, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Turn mixer off and add baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extra. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Add half of the flour to mixture, combine on low speed, add milk, and add the rest of the flour. Again, mix until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Divide batter equally into prepared muffin cups (they will be very full) and smooth the tops.
- Bake until muffin tops are pale golden and spring to the touch, 15-17 minutes. Rotate halfway through baking time.
- Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool 10 minutes before glazing.
- To make the glaze: In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter, powdered sugar, maple extract, and hot water. Start with 2 tablespoons hot water and add more, if necessary. Whisk until smooth. Add more powdered sugar or hot water as needed to obtain correct consistency. It should be slightly thick but pourable.
- When muffins have cooled, dip the muffin top into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden. Once hardened, dip a second time and allow to harden then serve.
- NOTE: Muffins will keep at room temperature for about a day. Reheat in microwave for 10 seconds & enjoy!