I realize it’s summer and it’s HOT and you probably don’t want to use your oven. BUT. This roast beef? 110% worth it! Especially when you make it as you’re house sitting for the parents and they have solar panels – score! Hello 72 degrees on a 95 degree day =) That smiley face turns into a frown when their #$%! dog decides to jump up on the bed (didn’t even know he could get up there) and PEE ON MY PILLOWS. I didn’t realize it happened until I took my freshly washed hair to bed that night and laid down. I thought I smelled pee? Hmmm? Yup, dried, nasty pee ALL OVER MY PILLOWS.
After shower #2, some fresh pillows and holding myself back from killing the mutt – I made it back into bed. I still haven’t forgiven the guy, he’s lucky he’s not at the pound. Between his urge to pee on EVERYTHING (including my dog – ugh!), his whining and barking at 1:00-2:00-or-3:00 am and his love for biting my toes – I just might kill him. And I love dogs. LOVE them. This dude is testing me big time. After 15 years, my house sitting hat is being hung up. I’m officially retiring, sorry Mom. I blame your disgusting animal.
On a good note, we had amazingly delicious roast beef while using the oven in the heat of summer and didn’t have to pay for the A/C to cool the house down. This is another one of those easy peasy recipes I LOVE! It takes a while but it’s all hands off so there’s no sweat on your part. Literally. Ha.
Place a baking sheet on the bottom rack of your 375 degree preheated oven. Stick the roast on the rack above it (yup, directly on the rack). This will help it cook evenly and the baking sheet will catch all the yummy juices. Now, here comes some math. Don’t worry, I can do it so it’s super simple. You want it to cook 15-25 minutes per pound. 15 minutes for rare, 20 for medium rare and 25 for medium. I usually do about 17 minutes per pound, I like my meat pretty darn rare.
Eating a big ol’ slice of roast beef with some horseradish – oh yes. This is easy enough for a romantic din for two along with some leftover sandwiches the next day AND fancy enough for guests you want to impress. Plus, it comes out great every time!
- 1 beef roast (Mine was 3.5 lbs sirloin roast)
- Optional: 1 Tablespoon olive oil (only drizzle on top of roast if there's no fat around your meat)
- Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning OR Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Let your roast sit out for 1-2 hours. You want it to be room temperature before going into the oven.
- Once it's room remp, Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Pat the roast dry with paper towels. Rub olive oil over the roast (if using) and season with TJ's Everyday Seasoning (one of my favs!) or salt and pepper.
- Place the roast directly on the middle rack (fat-side up) with a baking sheet on the rack beneath it, to catch all the drippings.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes per pound. 15 min/pound = rare, 20 min/pound = med rare, 25 min/pound = medium.
- Let rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing.