I love the kind of weekends where you don’t have a lot of plans and are able to say yes to things at the last minute. Things like hanging by the pool and swimming with the besties, watching the cutest lil kiddos jump into the pool, viewing cheesy scary Netflix movies, going on a pumpkin crazy shopping spree at Trader Joe’s, and the hubs taking his new obnoxiously gigantic smoker on its maiden voyage with some insanely moist whole chickens. Plus, we had an insane Shabu Shabu and Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice extravaganza with some great, ol’ friends on Friday night. We definitely rocked this weekend. But, now it’s Monday, gahhh!!!
Have no fear, friends. I’ve got some good things coming your way this week. Now that my pain is almost completely GONE (yes, I know I have to YELL IT because I’m SO EXCITED!!!), I can cook again. The pain in my neck (literally) caused by a pinched nerve has been cramping my style for two weeks now. I gained a new perspective and empathy for people who live in constant pain. Such an unbearable reality to deal with. Thankfully, after several trips to the chiropractor, acupuncture, ice/heat, and lots of rest + prayer, prayer and more prayer, I am almost 100% better. It’s still sore and I have an occasional grimace of pain but nothing like it was. Thank you, Lord and a BIG thanks to those prayer warriors out there!
So with a new perspective and ability to move, I set out to ALL the grocery stores and went a little crazy. TJ’s had all this squash that I had never tried and I wanted to remedy that. I saw this post from Skinnytaste and thought I would give it a try. I knew the hubs would eat it up but I honestly thought I would take one bite and be done. Veggies aren’t always my thing. I really want to like them but, most of the time, I just don’t.
Not the case here! I followed this tip and cutting/peeling the squash was SO much easier. Like, I’ll actually buy squash on a regular basis and make this! Here it is: Stab a knife into your squash 4-5 times around the perimeter and stick it in the microwave for 2-5 minutes (depending on the size). This will make peeling and cutting actually do-able! Then, cut your squash into even pieces (attempt 3/4 inch-ish, obvi mine are not perfect), throw together your spices, sprinkle and stick ’em in the oven. This side is easy, it just needs a little stirring around every 15 minutes. Once they’re all brown and roast-y, sprinkle a little more of those yummy spices over the top and enjoy!
I was very surprised at how much I loved this dish! I’m so looking forward to trying it out with different types of squash. Stay tuned this week for what I did with the other halves of these beauties. (Hint: A crockpot is involved and it’s super easy!)
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 lbs mixed winter squash (I used ½ butternut & ½ acorn), peeled and cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, salt and brown sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, add squash, butter and olive oil. Then add 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture and toss well to coat.
- Place squash on a sheet pan lined with parchment and bake for 45 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes, so that they evenly brown.
- Sprinkle with 1½ teaspoons more of spice mixture. Toss gently to coat and serve hot.