Honesty time – so this brand new blog of mine is titled and centered all about me & my stalker tendencies. My plan was to keep doing what I’ve been doing… Cooking awesome recipes by other bloggers and tell you about my experience doing so. Make/eat/rate. Easy peasy! I thought maybe – every once in a while – I’ll post one of my own recipes. IF I could come up with one. I mean, I’m not a real blogger, cook, writer, photographer (obvi). So… there’s no way I could do it. Last night the plan was to make these amazing looking muffins from my absolute #1 FAV blogger & my one-way BFF. Instead, somehow an amazing recipe was born out of leftovers…
Ever stand in front of your fridge and just stare – and stare – and stare at all the random ingredients/leftovers and hope something just jumps out at you – “Eat me!” But, they never look as good the second time around, am I right? Last night leftover chicken breast + red & green bell peppers (that were originally veggie skewers) + 2 random jalapeños at the bottom of the veg drawer + frozen homemade chicken stock + a pantry raid of spices & cans = Comforting, fill-your-soul, make-your-nose-run-spicy soup! It is FINALLY under 100 degrees here in Southern Cali (although not by much) and I am more than ready for soup season. Don’t worry, those yummy muffins will be made soon and my wanna-be BFF will soon be revealed!
I wasn’t sure this soup would be blog-worthy but it ended up knocking my socks off! Simple, spicy, ready in a jif, and just plain YUM. Mix it up with all kinds-o-toppings! First, gather your players.
Grab your fav well-used soup pot. And get started!
Heat pan to medium-high, add olive oil, onion, jalapeños, bell peppers, salt, cumin, oregano and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Add chipotle peppers in sauce, fire roasted diced tomatoes, cooked chicken, frozen corn, and chicken stock. Let soup simmer for 10 minutes or until you’re ready to eat. Serve up with your favorite toppings: Sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, extra jalapeños, whatever your little heart desires. Or big heart. Who am I to judge? Enjoy!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, diced (*TIP: scrape out seeds & membrane if you can't handle the heat!)
- ½ green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in sauce, diced (*TIP: Freeze the rest of the can of peppers in a ziplock bag & use as needed)
- 1 14.5 oz can, fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups chicken breast, cooked & diced into bite-sized pieces or shredded (*TIP: Use a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup frozen (or fresh) corn
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Optional Toppings: Sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, jalapeños
- Heat soup pot to medium high
- Add olive oil, onion, jalapeños, bell peppers, salt, cumin, oregano & sauté for 2 minutes
- Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute
- Add chipotle peppers in sauce, fire roasted diced tomatoes, cooked chicken, frozen corn, and chicken stock
- Let soup simmer for 10 minutes
- Serve up with your favorite toppings (sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, extra jalapeños)