I had chicken breasts that needed to be used in the fridge. Hubs was working late. I didn’t want to cook dinner. I wasn’t hungry and let’s face it, on nights he’s not home my din consists of a baguette, brie and some Bachelorette. I know, it’s horrible. Not the brie, the trashy girl and d-bags who are fighting over her. I blame my bestie for getting me 100% sucked in. Anywho, I switched the Bachelorette over to the tablet so I could indulge in the kitchen and use up those chicken breasts all at the same time.
I wanted to marinate them but was feeling lazy. Scrolled through a few of my fav bloggity blogs, realized I hadn’t been shopping for fresh ingredients in forever (because who doesn’t have a lime or lemon or cilantro or balsamic vinegar) so I go to the fridge to attempt to make up my own. I saw the Frank’s Red Hot Wing sauce and figured that had to be a good marinade, right? All by itself? Should I add something? Enter google where I find this gem by Carlsbad Cravings. Oh, internet how I love thee. Especially when I somehow happen to have all of the listed ingredients – so meant to be!
I whipped up the marinade and let those chicken chunks swim in it ’til the next day. Another love of mine? Knowing I already have a dinner plan going into the work day. Ahhh be still my heart. Seriously, it’s the little things in life for me. I skewered those puppies up, slathered them with some more (reserved) marinade while cooking and grilled them indoors because our BBQ is in need of a good cleaning. You are going to LOVE the smoky, sweet heat these have going on.
It’s so much better than Bachelorette what’s-her-face and her hot pink duck lips. I need her to stop with the lips already. I can’t take it. Are you watching? I hate to admit that I am but it’s happened. I’ve submitted to the trash of reality tv. Making up names for her suitors is just too much fun. Wannabe Ryan Gosling, the dunce, Backstreet Nick, jockboy. Send help, I’m in need. Better yet, send more kabobs!
- 1½ pounds chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into 1½ inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons Frank's Hot Wings sauce (NOT original hot sauce)
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- In a medium bowl, combine marinade ingredients together. Set aside ¼ cup of the marinade in a small tupperware. Add all but reserved ¼ cup of the marinade to a large freezer bag along with chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for one hour up to overnight (the longer the better). Keep the ¼ cup extra marinade in the fridge as well until ready to cook.
- When ready to cook, generously grease grill and heat to medium-high heat. Drain marinade from chicken and thread chicken and onions onto skewers. (*If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes prior to grilling so they don't burn).
- Grill skewers on one side for about 5-8 minutes or until slightly charred brushing them with the extra ¼ cup of marinade while cooking. Flip and grill the other side until cooked through and slightly charred, continuing to brush with extra marinade while cooking.
- Repeat with remaining skewers.