I’m not a huge fan of making breakfast. Especially when it can’t contain sugar. *Sad face* In case you missed it, I’m doing a no sugar thing. Wahhhhh! I am just so blatantly happy about it too, can’t ya tell? Sarcasm, friends. I speak it fluently. I do, however, love recipes that are totally customizable and help you clean out your produce drawer before things go bad. You are guys are gonna love this one because it’s so easy and adaptable to what you have on hand! And, if you are like the hubs and have to add some meat to your burrito, feel free! We were out of bacon and sausage, plus I wanted to keep things light so I stuck with the veg route. I didn’t fill the hubs in that it was meat-free until he said he it was delish and was already on his second burrito. Ha! Fooled ya.
Here’s what I had on hand: Red potatoes, red bell pepper, red onion, cherry tomatoes (I promise all your veg doesn’t have to be red!), zucchini (see!), and garlic. Mushrooms would’ve been a great addition. Really, the sky is the limit here. I literally opened up the produce drawer and just pulled out what we needed to use up. I started chopping and adding to the skillet from there. I started with the potatoes since they take the longest and you don’t want those suckers crunchy! Into the skillet they go along with the rest as you get them chopped up. Stir around every once and a while. Scramble some eggs (keep them separate, you’ll see why soon). Heat up some tortillas. Bada-Bing. Breakfast is served.
My dislike for cooking in the morn was averted since these were pretty darn easy. And it made me happy to use up vs. eventually throw out those veggies. Plus, the yum factor here? So good. You will love them! We always have to have some sort of sauce to go with our food so instead of plain old sour cream I mixed some up with a little Sriracha. Yesssssss. Such a good call. It gave the burrito a cool, creamy, spiciness that can’t be beat. Another WIN with this recipe? We kept those eggs separate for a reason, remember?! I had a good amount of leftover veggies from breakfast so guess what I did for lunch? SOUP! Oh yes, I did. BAM *insert fist punching emoji here* TWO RECIPES IN ONE! I put the refrigerated veggies into a pot, added chicken stock, let it simmer and served it with some rolls. I didn’t even take any pics because I wasn’t expecting it to be that good. Halfway through eating I regretted that decision. So, you’ll just have to take my word for it! You’ve got yourself breakfast and lunch all rolled into one. Score!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 5 red potatoes, diced
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, sliced into quarters vertically, then sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (or any other fresh herbs you have on hand)
- *Feel free to add or substitute any veggies you have on hand
- Scrambled eggs (use your favorite recipe)
- Flour tortillas
- Sour cream + sriracha for topping, I used ¼ cup sour cream + 2 tsp sriracha
- For the soup:
- Leftover veggies
- 32 oz chicken stock
- Heat skillet to medium-high & add olive oil. Add potatoes, red bell pepper, and the rest of the vegetables (except the tomatoes) to the skillet as you get them diced.
- Stir every once in a while to ensure potatoes don't stick to the pan.
- Make your scrambled eggs in a separate pan while the vegetables cook.
- Once the vegetables are soft (but not mushy), turn the heat off. Add the tomatoes and cilantro and mix well.
- Mix together sour cream and sriracha, if desired.
- Heat your tortillas and add veggies, eggs and sriracha sour cream. Enjoy!
- For Soup:
- Place your leftover veggies into a pot and add chicken stock. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy with a roll or some french bread!